What is a Homeowner’s Association?

It is a non-profit corporation registered with the State and managed by a duly elected Board of Directors. Its purpose is to maintain all common areas and to govern the community in accordance with the provision of the legal documents: CC&Rs, Bylaws, and Articles of Incorporation. The governing legal documents for the association may be viewed online within the Documents section of this site. The corporation is financially supported by all members of the homeowners association. Membership is both automatic and mandatory.

Why Do I Belong To Two Associations?

Each homeowner within Canterberry Crossing is a member of the Master Association. Such membership automatically begins when the owner acquires title to a property within Canterberry Crossing and automatically ends when the owner conveys that property to another individual.

Canterberry is built out with 2583 homes. Based upon an estimate of 3.5 members per household, the number of residents within Canterberry Crossing is approximately 9000. Contemplating the sheer numbers, as well as the unique characteristics of certain properties within Canterberry Crossing, the Master Declaration provides for the establishment of Delegate Districts and sub-associations as a means for homeowners to participate in the affairs and management of the Master Association and in the affairs of those matters which are unique to their own subdivision or neighborhood.  Owners should attend the meetings for their sub association, here you can relate the information that you wish for your delegate to bring to the Master Association Board’s attention.

Each homeowner within a subdivision is a member of both the Master Association and a subdivision HOA. Membership in a subdivision HOA, like membership in the Master Association, exists by virtue of the ownership of a lot within the subdivision. When an individual purchases a home or lot within the sub-association, that ownership is automatically subject to the terms and conditions of both the Master Declaration and the Declaration of Covenants for its sub-association.

The Articles of Incorporation and the Bylaws for both the Master Association and the sub-association HOA provide homeowners within Canterberry Crossing the right to participate in the management of their associations. For example, the members within a sub-association HOA have the right to nominate and vote in the elections of a Board of Directors who are, in turn, responsible for managing the affairs of that sub-association HOA. In addition, members of the sub-association HOA have the right to elect a delegate to represent the interests of members within the subdivision at the Master Association level.

Sub-associations provide homeowners within Canterberry Crossing an opportunity to develop a more integrated sense of community and system of accountability. To achieve the benefits of these goals, participation of the members is essential.

What are the responsibilities of owners and residents?

Each owner or resident typically has the responsibility to (Subject to the governing documents of your Association):

  • Understand What They Own or Occupy.  This includes town homes, condominiums and the difference between their unit and the common property, and also planned communities and the HOA’s ownership of the common property.
  • It is the Owners responsibility to know what you bought or are buying into, you must work with the seller and or realtor to become informed. It is not the HOA’s “fault” that your seller or realtor does not provide all the information regarding the current state of your community or failed to provide information specific to the amenities or misinformed you that you belong to a private entity that is not included in the HOA.
  • Pay Assessments and Other Proper Charges of the HOA.  These obligations of the owner must be met on a timely basis for the HOA to operate effectively.  Residents (that are not owners) are not responsible for these charges.
  • Read and Comply with the Governing Documents of the Community.
    • This includes the obligation to pay HOA assessments and proper charges of the HOA on time (see above).  Owners should contact the HOA to discuss financial obligations and payment plans or arrangements.
    • Owners and residents must comply with restrictive and affirmative covenants in the declaration.  This aids in maintaining and enhancing property values, based on established standards.
    • Owners and residents must also comply with the covenants, articles of incorporation, bylaws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures of the HOA.
    • Owners and residents must ensure that those who reside on the owner’s property (e.g., tenants, relatives, and friends) adhere to all applicable parts of the governing documents.  As an owner you will be held responsible and financially liable for your tenants actions in regards to the governing documents.
    • Owners need to communicate and stay informed, by going to meetings, reading communications, visiting the HOA website.
  • Maintain Separate Liability Insurance and Casualty Insurance.  Owners and residents must maintain (as to their separate property interests and ownership) their own liability insurance for accidents within the property.  Owners should also maintain casualty (or hazard or property) insurance on property in or on their Lot/Unit which is not insured under a property insurance policy maintained by the HOA.
  • Owners have the responsibility to vote in community elections and on other issues. Owners need to understand that once they elect a Board of Directors, the Board makes the decisions for the community, the Owners do no participate in day to day operations of the HOA, the information regarding Board actions are kept in the minutes of the association and can be found on an association website or communication portal.
  • Property Maintenance.  Owners and residents have the responsibility to understand who is required to maintain components of the community, including their own property or the property they occupy.
  • Duties and Responsibilities of the HOA, Board Members and Manager.  Owners and residents should understand, at least generally, and when needed, specifically, the duties and responsibilities of the HOA, board members and the manager.  Owners and residents have the responsibility to know what the HOA and its board/officers/managing agent can do for them and cannot do.  Too often, an HOA and its leaders are expected to solve all problems and cover all unexpected losses.  These expectations are typically broader than the HOA’s authority or required actions under the governing documents.
  • Serve on the Board.  All owners have a responsibility to run for and serve on the board, as representatives to the owners.  Residents may be qualified to serve on the board.  Check the bylaws.  Board members serve the interests of the entire community, known as a duty to manage, that requires good faith and the care of ordinary prudent person in a similar position.  As a representative of private governance of the community, the board and those elected to it seek to further the best interests of the community.
  • Treat HOA Leaders Honestly and Respectfully.  Just as owners and residents are to be treated honestly, fairly and with respect by the HOA and its leaders, owners and residents are responsible for treating the HOA and its leaders fairly with honesty and respect.
  • Offer Comments and Recommendations to the Board, the HOA and Management.  Owners and residents have the responsibility to offer comments and recommendations to HOA leaders and management in a calm and businesslike manner.  Issues will arise, but should not be personalized.  Comments should be made without profanity, personal attacks or shouting.
    • Consider the best interests of the community before and when offering comments to the board, the HOA, and management.
    • Offer comments which are relevant to the purpose of the HOA and/or management.
  • Provide Current Contact Information.  To allow the HOA to be able to communicate with an owner or occupant, send notices of member meetings, newsletters, etc. to owners, current contact information and a current mailing address if different than the property address is REQUIRED by to be provided in writing to the HOA.  This helps ensure receipt of information from the community.  It is often stated “I don’t get notices or information”, make sure you have registered for all communication avenues and provided current contact information to the management company.
  • Avoid Interference with Contractors Engaged by the HOA.  Owners and residents are not the persons who have contracted with vendors of the HOA.  The HOA has entered into those contracts, through the Board of Directors who were elected by the “Owners”.  Owners and residents have the responsibility to avoid interference with these contractors while a contract is in progress.  All communications and complaints about a contractor’s work should go through the HOA manager, an HOA representative, or be in accordance with policy.
  • Avoid Harassing and Threatening Others.  Owners and residents have the responsibility to avoid harassing or threatening others through any means to control or instill fear in any other owner or resident, board member, the manager or any agent of the HOA.
  • Use Professional and Businesslike Language and Decorum. Owners and residents have the responsibility to be professional and businesslike, and to act with appropriate decorum when interacting with the HOA, its leaders and management.
  • Avoid Personal Attacks.  Owners and residents have the responsibility to avoid personal attacks against other owners, residents, board members, managers and service providers.  NOTE:  Colorado law allows for personal protective orders, to seek to preserve the peace, and to avoid physical harm or injury to another person.

How much property does CCMA maintain?

The Master Association maintains, over 27 miles of fence, 5 parking lots, over 40 acres of irrigated turf; 5.2 acres of medians and landscaped beds; and over 34 acres of native growth area, several trail areas, 2 sets of tennis courts, 5 parks, a pool, 5 monuments in total, located in 3 different areas.  They also provide common area snow removal on more than 10 miles of sidewalks, trails and parking lots.

What is a management company, what do they do and how do I reach them?

A management company is contracted by the Board of Directors to provide such services as: Collection of assessments, negotiation with and supervision of subcontractors, obtaining bids for subcontracted services, organization and processing of architectural requests, enforcement of covenants and governing documents, providing financial statements and collection reports, as well as a general clearing house for problem solving, pool registration, communications with homeowners and the Board of Directors and to serve in an advisory capacity. The management company reports directly to the Board and all decisions are made by a majority vote of the Board of Directors. The management company did not create the governing documents and policies that govern your association.

The management company may be reached online through Contact Us or by phone from the numbers listed in the footer on this site.  The current management company phone number is (303)841-8658 and email is [email protected].  They are available Monday – through Thursday from 8 am to 5 pm and are available on Fridays by appointment only.

Who is The Colorado Property Management Specialists, Inc (CPMS)?

The Colorado Property Management Specialists, Inc (CPMS) is the management company that was retained by your board of directors to oversee the day-to-day operations of your community.  The management team consists of Community Relations Coordinators which can answer almost any questions or direct you to the correct department, the Accounting department which can answer any questions you have about your assessments and/or payments, Licensed Community Managers are available to answer questions you may have on Covenant Enforcement and on what is needed to make changes to the exterior of your property. Our Community Managers strive to provide high-quality service to each owner in the community

What are CC&R’s?

The Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CC&Rs) are the governing legal documents that set up the guidelines for the operation of the planned community as a non-profit corporation. The CC&Rs were recorded by the County recorder’s office of the County in which the property is located and are included in the title to your property. Failure to abide by the CC&Rs may result in a fine to a homeowner by the Association. The governing legal documents for the association may be viewed online within the Documents section of this site.

What are the Bylaws?

The Bylaws are the guidelines for the operation of the non-profit corporation. The Bylaws define the duties of the various offices of the Board of Directors, the terms of the Directors, the membership’s voting rights, required meetings and notices of meetings, and the principal office of the Association, as well as other specific items that are necessary to run the Association as a business. The Bylaws for the association may be viewed online within the Documents section of this site.

What is the Board of Directors?

The Homeowner’s Association again is a corporation and therefore a governing body that is required to oversee its business. The Board of Directors is elected by the homeowners, or as otherwise specified in the bylaws. The limitations and restrictions of the powers of the Board of Directors is outlined in the Association governing documents found within the Documents section of this site.

Are Board Meetings open to all residents? If so, where and when are they held?

Yes. Notice of the time and place of any regular board meeting will be noted online on the Calendar page.  If a member wants to have a specific item placed on an agenda, the request needs to be in writing and received by the management company at least 10 days in advance of the meeting.

If I want to serve on a committee, how do I find out what committees are active and how I can get involved?

The Contact Us page of this website.  If you are interested in volunteering, please fill out the Volunteer Application on this website.

How do I register for the Communication Portal?

Email [email protected] to request an invitation to join the portal.   You will need to register for both associations that CPMS, Inc. manages.

Once you receive the invitation(s) it you will need to click on the join button at the bottom of the email.  This will take you to the registration page.

At the top of the page it will ask if you already have a login, below that it will say OR, scroll to below the OR and your name should be populated already, you will type in a password of your choice, and then type the password again, you will need to input a cell phone number if one is not already populated.  Once you have done this you will scroll to the bottom of the page and click the box next to the statement that starts with “I have read and agree with…”   You will then click join.

Once you have registered for one of the associations you will need to register for the other association by clicking the join button at the bottom of the email for the other association.  At the top of the page it will ask if you already have a login, below that it will say OR, scroll to below the OR and your name should be populated already, you will type in the exact same password you used for the first association, and then type the password again, you will need to input a cell phone number if one is not already populated.  Once you have done this you will scroll to the bottom of the page and click the box next to the statement that starts with “I have read and agree with…”   You will then click join.

Once you have registered for all the associations, you can switch between them by clicking on the association name at the top of the webpage and selecting the other association to view.

What happens when there is a covenant violation?

Many homeowners call the HOA office when they continue to see a particular covenant violation in their neighborhood.  When they don’t see this violation corrected, they may assume that the HOA has failed to take any action on the violation. Here’s the procedure the HOA follows for covenant violations:

When a homeowner calls the HOA office with an alleged violation, they are instructed that all complaints must be in writing and directed to send in writing by mail or to email their complaint.  Upon receipt the staff records and reports it to the appropriate sub-association covenant enforcement coordinator. That person visits and verifies that there is, indeed, a violation. A letter of violation is then generated from the HOA office with a cure period ranging from immediately- seven (7) days for the violation. The Association and management company understand that often times violations cannot be cured within 7 days.   The goal is communication until correction can be achieved.  It is also understood that something cited in a review may be of a temporary nature and that it may have even been corrected before you received the notice.  In either circumstance, just send an email to let us know you will need more time, if you don’t understand the violation or that it was corrected.  If the cure period passes without the violation being corrected, a Notice of Fine Letter is sent to the offending homeowner explaining they are now being fined for non-compliance.  As noted in the first letter before a fine is levied, the homeowner always has the opportunity to request a hearing and be heard as to why they were not able to comply, and this option is outlined in the letter stipulating a fine if you don’t correct the situation and/or exercise this option.  If you want to be heard by a board regarding the violation you must request a hearing to address the board of directors, you must attend the meeting,  failure to attend is an automatic forfeiture of your rights. This system has worked well for Canterberry, and it is important to keep in mind that some violations may not be corrected overnight. Please be patient. Some things just take more time than others to correct. If you would like to review the proper notification procedures, please refer to the Rules and Regulations that you received when you purchased your residence. Or simply go to the library on this website to download your own copy!  Please make sure to review updated governing policies “SB100” as well.  If you are the complaining homeowner you also have a right to attend the hearing.

If I am having a problem with a neighbor for a violation of the Policies and Guidelines, what can I do?

If residents cannot resolve a situation between themselves, then turn to your Association. Should you have a situation that does not appear to be resolved through neighborly means, and you are willing to actively participate in the enforcement provided by the Policies and Guidelines, you may complete a Covenant Violation form. The Violation form may be found by logging into the communication portal.  If the situation is deemed in violation of the Policies and Guidelines, the Board of Directors will institute the enforcement policy. Your continued assistance may be required.

The Association does not handle domestic complaints; loud music, animals, criminal activity; please contact the local police for these issues.

What are Restricted and Commercial Vehicles

A brief summary is below.  For more detailed information about restricted and commercial vehicles please go to the library under the Master Association and view all documents.

The Master Declaration provides that: No house trailer, camping trailer, boat trailer, hauling trailer, boat or boat accessories, trucks larger than 3/4 ton (carrying capacity), recreational vehicle, jet ski, or other recreational equipment whether located on or off supporting vehicles, or any commercial  vehicle  as  defined  below  (collectively,  “Restricted Vehicles”) may be parked or stored anywhere in the Master Association Area, except in garages, designated  parking or storage areas or except in emergencies or as a temporary expedience.

  1. A “Commercial Vehicle” is defined as:
  • Trucks weighing greater than 5 tons GVWR (combined load­ carrying and truck weight);
  • A vehicle that is provided by one’s employer for use in the employee’s employment;
  • A vehicle on which any advertisement, logo, contact information or other signage is affixed, other than the factory-installed name plates identifying the make and model of the vehicle;
  • A vehicle used by an Owner for his own business or commercial purposes, except vehicles that do not otherwise exceed the size and other limitations described below and do not contain any material set forth in (ii) above are permitted;
  • Non-standard vehicles/ pick-up trucks (modified) will be construed as a Commercial Vehicle unless the owner has received a written exemption in advance of parking or storing such vehicle by the Master
  1. If there exists an emergency, or a request is made for a temporary expedience, the owner of the property must obtain approval, in writing, from the Master ARC before parking a Commercial or Restricted Vehicle in the Master Association Area outside a garage or storage area. The application to the ARC must specify the type of vehicle and the general nature of the emergency requiring the exemption. Once approved, emergency parking or storage shall NOT continue for more than a single twenty-four (24) hour period, one time every four months. The written request for approval submitted to the Master ARC shall set forth the time and date such temporary or emergency parking or storage will commence and when it will terminate.

The Master Association will permit requests for temporary expedience, example (loading or loading your camper, boat etc.) to be sent via email to [email protected] please make sure to include your address, type of restricted vehicle and the day(s) the restricted vehicle will be in the community.

Who authorized CCMA to enforce parking restrictions of public streets?

CCMA is grandfathered as an enforcer of parking restrictions as the declaration documents were filed prior to any changes in the Town of Parker ordinance which prohibited this. Without this authority, the associations would be unable to prohibit unsightly, damaged, and non-working vehicles from becoming an eyesore.

What is a RIF and when do I need to complete one?

A RIF is a Residential Improvement Form that needs to be completed when doing any work on the exterior of your home (painting, deck, doors, windows, roof etc) or in your yard (landscaping, concrete, fence, patio, shed, play equipment etc) (front and/or back).  A RIF needs to be submitted even when doing like for like (painting, roof, windows, landscaping etc.).

The RIF can be found by logging into the community portal or by clicking here.

Documents that need to be included with the RIF include but are not limited to: copies of Plans or Drawings, etc. If Painting of the Residence is requested, then “real” photographs (not printed on copy paper) of the house and adjacent houses, including those directly across the street MUST accompany the RIF. A Plot plan must be included for plantings, additions, decks, patios, gazebos, hot tubs, ramps, sheds etc.  Neighbors signatures are required for sheds, play equipment, and hot tubs. Neighbor signatures are encouraged on all RIF’s as courtesy to let your neighbor know what is changing and that contractors will be in the neighborhood.

What is my assessment?

The assessment is the periodic amount due from each homeowner to cover the operating expenses of the common area and provide for reserve funds for replacement of common facilities in future years. Canterberry Master and the Sub Associations assessments are imposed annually and the board sets the due date, depending on the governing board of directors, you may be permitted to pay monthly or quarterly and that information/details is provided with the annual coupons.  All assessments are due on or before the first of the month. Coupons are sent annually.  Monthly statements are not mailed as a reminder to pay your assessments.   A notice will be sent only as a reminder of the amount past due.

How is the amount of my assessment determined?

The Board of Directors develop a budget based upon specific guidelines for utilities, landscaping, administration, etc. and reserve funds.  Reserve funds are monies set aside for future expenses based on the life expectancy of certain items: lighting, irrigation equipment, street resurfacing, pools, sidewalks in common areas, pool equipment, playgrounds and equipment, tennis courts, capital improvements, parking lots, etc. The amounts needed in Reserves is based on the cost to replace that item divided by the number of years the item is expected to last and when it is to be replaced.

Why did my assessment go up?

The cost of maintenance of common areas including sprinklers and fencing is increasing as the community ages. There were several years where the dues were not increased at all and some maintenance was deferred. In order to keep up with the needed repairs, an increase was necessary. The board is always interested in ideas for reducing costs and is currently investigating such items as xeriscaping, maintenance free fencing, and new landscaping contractors. Our current contractor has consistently provided the lowest bid, though we are always investigating other possibilities.

Will my assessment go up again?

There is no concrete answer to this. Typically a Declaration sets out the provisions for annual increases. The Master Association Declaration states that assessment shall increase by the greater of: the percentage increase of the Consumer Price Index (opens in new window) or an increase of 15 percent per year without a vote of the membership. The Board of Directors may approve an increased budget, increasing your assessment up to this percentage in order to cover increased costs of operating and maintaining the common area and sufficient reserve funds.

How do I pay my assessment?

All homes in the Villages of Parker Master Association belong to two (2) HOA’s – the Villages of Parker Master Association, dba Canterberry Crossing Master and a sub Association.  Your assessment payments are due for both the Master and the Sub Association.

The following Sub Associations are managed by SPM and you will need to contact them if you need assistance with your sub association payment.  (303) 841-0456
Creekside West
Hilltop North
Meadowridge East
Mesa Pines South

The Village at Canterberry Crossing is managed by MSI and you will need to contact them if you need assistance with your sub association payment (303) 420-4433

Heathstead Owners is managed by Advance HOA and you will need to contact them if you need assistance with your sub association payment – (303) 482-2213 x235

For Canterberry Crossing Master and the sub associations managed by CPMS, annual assessments coupons are mailed each year in mid to late November.  If you do not receive your coupons by December 15th each year and you are not enrolled with ACH/EFT you can email the Management Office at [email protected] and an additional set of coupons can be emailed to you or you can request a time to stop by the management office to pick up a new set.  For Sub Associations not managed by CPMS please contact that Sub Association management company.

Assessments are due on or before the 1st of month.  For communities managed by CPMS, you can make your payments online.  If you haven’t created a log in account to access your account information please take a moment and do so at www.canterberrycrossinghoa.com and click on “Resident Login”.   If paying outside the portal you will see a page that is similar to the image below.   Please note you are paying or creating an account directly with Alliance Association Bank.

Your account number is provided on your assessment coupons.  If you have a sub association you will need to repeat this process for the sub association with the account number and information provided for that sub association.  Each association is a different company/entity and have to be maintained separately.

Keep in mind that if you set up payment options using the Alliance Association Bank website or utilize bill pay through your bank, we will not have information regarding those arrangements or be able to assist you.  If you log in to your account through the portal and set up ACH /EFT, we can assist you if an issue arises.

Late Payments – We do not call owners or send emails when payments are late.   We have to follow the collection policy.  Please take a moment and make your payment today and schedule your remaining payments.   All payments of Common Assessments shall be due and payable, without notice or demand, on the due dates declared by the Board.  The due dates currently are on or before January 1, April 1, July 1, and October 1.   If payment is not received by the 10th a late fee will be applied on the 11th.

Cypress Ridge (Sub Association) Assessments are due monthly on or before the 1st of each month.

Bill Pay – If you have Bill Pay – with your bank or online payments – with Alliance Association Bank set up,  you will need to make changes with your bank and update the assessment amount due anytime the Master Association or your Sub Association assessment amount changes/increases.

If you need to contact the management office, we are located at 19751 E. Mainstreet Suite 275, Parker, CO 80138, our phone number is 303-841-8658 and email is [email protected].  Our customer service hours are Monday through Thursday from 8 am to 5 pm.  Fridays are by appointment only.

What happens if I don’t pay my assessment?

The maintenance and management services incurred by the Association are dependent upon timely receipt of the assessments due from each homeowner. Late payments will result in a late charge as assessments are due on the first of the month. In addition, the CC&Rs allows the Association to charge late charges and interest and proceed with a lien on your property, or foreclosure proceeding for nonpayment of assessments. Voting privileges will be suspended and pool privileges will be revoked until the account is no longer delinquent.

Where does all that property tax money go?

The item on your property tax bill titled “Canterberry Crossing Metropolitan District” is not the HOA. This is a quasi municipal entity created by the developers to sell bond which financed the infrastructure of the development. There are/were three metro districts in CCMA; Parker Properties, Canterberry, and Canterberry II. Parker properties was the oldest district, has retired its debt, and has been dissolved.

My street did not get plowed, who do I contact?

The Town of Parker is responsible for the plowing of streets.  The Master Association does not plow streets.  Please visit the Snow Operations (opens in new window) page on the Town of Parker’s website for more information. If you have a Sub Association that conducts plowing, you will need to contact the appropriate management company for your sub association to discuss the snow removal.

Who is responsible for snow removal and where?

CCMA handles snow removal on public sidewalks and parks. Parker is responsible for streets, except for Heathstead, Cypress Ridge and Creekside West which either own their streets or are maintenance free communities.

My trash/recycle did not get picked up, who do I contact?

The current trash contractor for Canterberry Crossing is Haulaway (with the exception of Heathstead – you will need to contact your management company to discuss your trash service).  Please contact HBS to report missed trash or recycle pick up.

The pool is too small, can it be expanded?

The current Board of Directors is not inclined to take up this issue again. A majority of the community voted to not build any new recreation facilities. If community members wish to pursue this, please talk to your neighbors. If there is significant interest in the future (more than 50% of the homes) the current Board of Directors will consider the issue again.

Why do the sprinklers run while it’s raining?

The sprinkler controllers are based on weather predictions and recent history, they are not real time. In addition, just because it is raining right now does not mean it will continue, it may stop after insufficient moisture. The algorithm within the controllers attempts to take all of this into account. Note that the associations water use has decreased significantly since the controllers were installed. That being said, if you notice a broken head or a zone that is consistently inaccurate, please contact the office or contact the Sprinkler Emergency Line after hours at 303-472-3790.

Sprinkler Emergencies?

Sprinkler Emergency Line 303-472-3790

Dead Grass?
Dead Animals?

If the animal is on Canterberry Property  Contact Us

If the animal is on Town of Parker, private property or in the street, contact the Parker Police Animal Services 303-841-9800.

Traffic problems?

Parker Police Non-Emergency Number 303-841-9800 or fill out the Parker Police Traffic Complaint Form 

Speeding Cars?

Parker Police Non-Emergency Number 303-841-9800 or fill out the Parker Police Traffic Complaint Form

My streetlight is out?
Abandoned Cars on the street or near the mailboxes?

Parker Police  303-841-9800